First wisdom

Without opening my eyes I instantly realise where I am. My lips are moving. Slowly. But there is no sound. I try again. Still nothing. My eyes hurt after opening them abruptly. I hear my heart pounding and sit up straight. My mouth is bone-dry. Silently I swallow and lick my lips. My ears are pricked. All muscles are incredibly tense. My entire body is ready to fight (as escaping is rather impossible).
I’m dead sure I heard footsteps. They stood still in front of my tent. It was not a dream. In my dream I was biking through the Vondelpark, zipping my raincoat. that’s a different set of sounds.
My tent faces no-mansland. Behind the bushes there is kind of nothing. Well more bushes, but that is the same as nothing. He (it’s clearly a man) knows I’m awake as much as I know he’s staring at the entrance of my tent while holding his breath. He came to hurt me. Why did I not bring the knife into the tent? I can still yell that I’m armed and will not hesitate to use violence. I can only sit still and wait till faith hits me. I never have this kind of negative or disastrous thoughts of this kind. I feel paralysed.
My mind keeps spinning. What will be wisdom going to a campsite where weirdos can go too are pitch my tent in wilderness where no-one will hear my screams in case of emergency. I think I have found my answer. Ready for tonight. With my knife in my tent.
My mind goes back to the first day that lies behind me. A sleepy smile returns. In the distance is can still hear the waves continuously rolling on the beach. I see the lush, hilly dunes of Denmark and then the first view of the sea. The intense smell of salty seawater. And the wind wildly playing with my hair.

Nothing happens. I fall asleep again.

Comments

Popular Posts